24 May 2013

The Six Month Forecast


Life tends to get in the way of a consistent blog update.  Or any, really, for months at a time in my case.  My trip to Europe was a success, as were my PhD applications and thesis defense.  I am now a master (not a mistress, that has a different set of qualifiers....) who is getting ready for a new life in England within the next 18 months.

I say 18 because I won't have a definitive answer for my funding until after May 28.  It's driving me slowly insane; I like to plan my life six months in advance, and in six months, I'll be 28 and have no bloody idea where I'm going to be living, going to school, etc.  Currently, the ideal plan is to receive funding and head over the pond.  However, should funding not work out, I may stay in Texas for another year, working full time and saving up for the hop. 

As I said, the inability to plan 6 months ahead is making me bonkers.

That said, I'm making the most of it.  I have the equivalent of a full-time job right now between two part-time positions.  I'm preparing for a move in the sense I'm starting purge old clothes, documents, books, etc.  Now it's just a question of getting off my arse and actually taking them to the proper places for donation/resale.  I'm horrific with getting to the post office, and it takes a small miracle to get me to a bricks and mortar store. 

I'm also looking to get new pieces for my wardrobe, though in my own thrifty way.  Certain items needed to be replaced -- my black suit jacket had seen far better days and has now been replaced by a Dana Buchman black brocade suit coat. 

Original price: $80. 




Bought for: $16 at Kohl's, off the 80% off rack.  I had gone in originally looking for a purple dress (which is my other closet mission!), but no dice on that count.  However, an excellent and highly practical consolation prize. 

Couponing in Extremis is in full swing -- my average is up to 45%-60% at Tom Thumb. I dipped a bit this week at 35%, but I got a ton of gas points, which will save me about $8 at the pump later this weekend.  

On the calendar late last week was a trip to Neiman Marcus Last Call.  I participate in a survey group that rewards me with discounts to the store, so I needed to scope out what level of certificate I needed.

Behold, oh glorious purple dress.  With pockets!  It's in the mode of a 1950s wiggly dress with a slightly modern kick with the pockets.  The belt is adorable - it's a reverse buckle.  The exact model is the Becky from Single Dress.  I may be wearing this to a wedding, so pics of me in it soonish (possibly).

Original price:  $253


Bought for:  $59.63 at Last Call at Neiman Marcus.  It was on the 50% off rack, plus I had a $25 off a $75 purchase coupon from the survey company. 

Next week:  a three-piece suit for $48 delivered, a corset post, and a bit on Star Trek!

No comments:

Post a Comment